Our stores are our foundation

hornbach-holding-unternehmen-Immobilienaktivitaeten

Our stores are our foundation

The HORNBACH Group uses retail properties with total surfaces of around two million square meters as DIY stores and garden centers.

The Group has an overriding strategy of ensuring that – measured in terms of sales areas – it owns at least half of the real estate used for operating purposes. At the balance sheet date on February 28, 2022, this share amounted to 60 percent (2020/21: around 60 percent). The remaining 40 percent of sales areas (including finance leases) are let from third parties. In addition, HORNBACH Immobilien AG and HORNBACH Baumarkt AG both hold a number of purchase options for further land at first-class locations in Germany and abroad. Moreover, Group companies also already own pieces of land in Germany and abroad that are designated for use as retail locations. 

No. of stores Sales area m2 Share %
Property of HORNBACH Baumarkt AG subgroup 53 628,464 32.8
Property of HORNBACH Immobilien AG subgroup 43 516,763 26.9
Total property owned 96 1,145,227 59.7
Land rented, buildings owned 4 34,968 1.8
Operating lease 63 738,159 38.5
Total 163 1,918,354 100.0
(Status: February 28, 2022, differences due to rounding up or down)

As well as managing and maintaining existing properties, HORNBACH Immobilien AG is also responsible for developing new locations. That is why its strong team of internationally experienced real estate specialists is permanently on the lookout for first-class locations, i.e. top-quality properties from around 30,000 square meters upwards located in the catchment areas of metropolitan areas and large cities. 

Further Information

Retail activities

Financial reports & presentations

Your contact for questions

Astrid Schlosser
Astrid Schlosser